It takes approx. 4 minutes to read this article
Incorrectly securing goods before a journey is a danger to the driver and other road users. Find out how to make sure your transport is properly secured!
In general, there are many ways to secure the transport before its journey. Which one should you choose? Everything depends on the type, weight and size of the cargo. Many times it also depends on the distance to be covered. You should take into account all the variables that could affect the quality of security during the journey. This is even regulated by Polish law, which states:
- placing the load so that it does not move,
- not exceeding the permissible total weight or load capacity of the vehicle,
- the load must not exceed a given axle load,
- shall not affect the stability of the vehicle,
- it shall not hinder the driver,
- does not limit visibility.
We have presented a few points that every driver should know. There are of course more, and what is important, in different European countries the norms and rules may be slightly different. It’s worth keeping an eye on these before entering a particular country.
Familiarise yourself with the lashing methods and lashing equipment
There are five ways to secure a load before a journey, here they are:
- block lashing,
- securing with straight lashings,
- securing with top-over lashings,
- a combination of all the above mentioned methods.
In order to secure the goods you also need accessories, here are the most popular ones:
- lashing straps,
- anti-slip mats,
- nets and canvas with lashings,
- ropes, letters and foils,
- protective spacers,
- steel strapping,
- plastic strapping.
Some examples of how you can make securing your transport faster and easier before you travel. Among other things, the hardware ensures that the cargo does not shift during the journey. It also ensures that the pallets do not bump against each other or tilt from side to side.
Universal rules for securing cargo during transport
Of course, this is not an ideal method, it has its shortcomings and disadvantages, but these few points are worth sticking to when securing the goods. The method of securing or lashing equipment should not be chosen at once, check when!
- above all, remember that before loading, you must check the loading platform, the bodywork, as well as many other vehicle components, such as tire pressure and the tightness of the refrigerator (if any). Anything that could affect the potential danger of the trip should be eliminated,
- then you move on to attaching the restraints. Here you need to make sure that the cargo does not shift, roll, or move, which can happen as a result of vibration and the vehicle’s cornering. Unfortunately such a situation causes the truck to lie on its side more than once,
- once you have loaded the goods, you choose the method of securing. It all depends on the type of goods. This can be a blocking method (best for pallets), as well as lashing with straight lashings or bolting,
- then you check that the vehicle meets the standards given by its manufacturer both for axle loads and for the method of securing,
- remember that even the best chosen equipment may not be suitable when the conditions on the road are extremely different. So check the weather en route and then secure the goods. In addition, remember to protect against sudden braking, frequent turning and acceleration when the road is winding and uneven,
- make sure that the load’s center of gravity is as close to the longitudinal axis and as low as possible. This will make unloading and loading easier,
- always check the load during the journey, preferably during pauses,
- in addition to lashing straps and tensioners, try to use non-slip mats, straps or angle bars – you can never have too much protection
- be careful not to damage the goods during loading, or change their position in the trailer,
- drive the vehicle smoothly, without sudden braking or acceleration, unless this is not possible in a given situation. Take gentle turns, preferably at low speeds, so that the vehicle does not tilt sharply to the right or left.
Select one of the five securing methods, choose your securing equipment and then follow these few rules. This will ensure that the transport of goods will go without the slightest complication