Are you interested in sea transport? Are you wondering how it looks like and what documents are needed for it? If so, be sure to familiarize yourself with the term cabotage shipping. We invite you to read our guide, where the rules of this type of transport are perfectly explained.
What is cabotage?
Cabotage is a term that refers to transportation by sea. It is the sailing between ports of the same country. It usually takes place over the space of one sea. Small-scale cabotage is involved when, for instance, a cargo load originating in the port of Gdynia is to sail to the port of Świnoujście. However, if the transport takes place on different waters, we may talk about large cabotage.
Under what circumstances is cabotage performed?
It is worth knowing that persons who want to engage in cabotage shipping, must have a community license. The person who is going to operate the vessel must have the appropriate license. It is also necessary to meet many other conditions. One of them in particular is that the cabotage must be carried out using the same transport for the entire route.
What documents do you need in order to perform cabotage shipping?
The next details that you need to know when you are interested in this term are the documents that are necessary for the transport.
- The name and address of the shipper – for this, the signature on the document must not be missing.
- Name and address of the carrier – in this case also a legible signature is necessary.
- After delivery, the signature of the receiver is needed.
- A document indicating the place and date of collection.
- You will need documents indicating the nature of the items being transported and also confirming their method of packing. The document must not lack the name, number of packages.
- Papers indicating the gross weight of the items transported are necessary.
- It is necessary to give the numbers of the vehicle moving on the sea roads.
Only with these documents it is possible to carry out cabotage in accordance with the law imposed by the state.
National regulations that apply to cabotage
Before you decide to carry out such a transport, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the national regulations that apply to maritime roads. Cabotage shipping is the carrying of transportation to ports in the same country, so it seems uncomplicated. However, don’t forget that the relevant documents mentioned above are required. They must be shown at every inspection and, what’s more, when picking up the goods and delivering them to the specified address. This may seem like an easy task, but it requires the right qualifications and skills. In addition, people who do this must be licensed and authorized.